a presentation made to the Nepean Fine Arts League
This presentation was originally run as a half day workshop for artists in the summer of 2010, but was stripped down to a one hour format that dropped discussion of a lot of design elements to focus on establishing dominance and harmony and using line effectively – with the emphasis on composition techniques.
- The Goal of Composition and Design is to create a desired effect in the viewer
- Some pieces “work” better than others
- A piece “works” when it creates an effect and has impact, draws the viewer in.
- Understanding how design techniques work enables us to employ them to create an effect
- The goal is a desired effect, not to “follow the rules”
You can download the .pdf of the presentation.
There are a ton of great tutorials on design principles and composition online. Google is your friend.